Thursday, July 4, 2013

Eve Bloggers is Dead, Long Live Eve Bloggers

So its been a bad week for my blog reading. First Google Reader is put down which in turn broke evebloggers.com.


Of course this is all on top of the handover from the current owner of evebloggers.com, MarcScaurus, to the new owner. Then we have the previous owner before Marc looking to set up a new competing site. However this would be a hosting site as well. The Nosy Gamer covers the background well here.

If you have read the comments in the Nosy Gamer article and the ones in one of the linked sites, you'll see I'm not a fan of the idea of a centralised hosting site for Eve Blogs. We have TMC and EN24 for that. However my biggest concern is what happens when the site owner goes dark. Not a single one of us knows for sure what we'll be doing in six months from now, never mind a year or more.


It happens. A new family member is just one of a hundred possible things that could nerf your Eve time. Look at the Eve Blog Banters. Is it the third or fourth custodian we are on now? EveBloggers is now on the third owner. These sites do not direct effect the blog of the bloggers. But a proposed hosting site? If the site stops running you'll have to move your blog, again.


For me, blogger.com will remain my home. Although we do not know how long it will last, I would bet it'll last longer then any player hosted site.

What do I want to see?

1. Eve Bloggers fixed and with a new owner.
2. Eve Blog Pack reviewed and continued.
3. Blog Banters started back up on a monthly basis.

1. is being worked on now, 2. I assume will be done by the new Evebloggers owner and 3. is already happening thanks to Kirith.

Now with all this moving about, I really should update my blog list here. I think I'll completely redo the list from scratch and split it to active blogs and good but infrequent ones.

But for now, I'm having a weekend away!

Fly deadly o/

2 comments: